Friday, May 6, 2011

Easy Refried Beans

Yesterday was a busy day, but with it being Cinco de Mayo, we still had to celebrate in some small way!  I  always love using my crockpot when I can.  It saves so much time!  Making these refried beans was no exception.  Dump all the ingredients in your crockpot in the morning, turn it on high.   Let it cook until dinner and right before serving just mash them up.  Yum!  And much better than from a can!


Ingredients:
1 onion, chopped
3 cups dry pinto beans, rinsed well
1/2 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped (if you like them with a kick, add the whole pepper)
2 TBSP. minced garlic
4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4-1 tsp. cumin, depending upon how much you like cumin.  (I used 1/4)
8 cups water

Place everything in your crockpot, stir.  Put the lid on, turn it on and your work is pretty much done.  Mash the beans prior to serving.  I added a little monterey jack cheese as well.

No comments: