Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Light and Delicious Dinner Rolls

This is my all-time favorite roll recipe.  It's very versatile.  I use it to make fried scones, cinnamon rolls and sticky buns.  I've done it with all wheat flour and they are still good, just more dense.  Most of the time, if I'm going to use wheat flour, I will do half wheat and half white, so that I can keep the lightness of the roll.  I love the taste of butter, but shortening will yield a flakier roll.  I always use butter flavored shortening and I have settled on using half shortening, half butter to get both the flakiness and the butter flavor.  Once raised and rolled, they will freeze nicely for use at another time.  Just get them out and thaw and raise, just like you would with Rhodes!
Ingredients:
3 1/2 cups warm water
1/2 cup warm water
4 TBSP. yeast
1 1/3 cups instant milk
2/3 cup sugar
4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
9-10 cups flour

Directions:  Take your 1/2 cup warm water and dissolve the 4 TBSP. of yeast into it.  Add a little sugar and wait until foamy.  In your mixing bowl, add the 3 1/2 cups water and the instant milk.  Mix until mix is dissolved.  Add eggs, one at a time and beat in.  Add sugar, salt and butter and shortening.  Mix until well combined (it will be lumpy).  Add yeast and mix.  Add flour.  Put in 8 cups and then slowly add remaining until your dough gets to the right consistency.  I like my dough a little sticky.  It shouldn't be so sticky it goops all over your hand, but it should stick somewhat (similar to cookie dough).  It makes the rolls fluffier.  Knead dough in your mixer, on low setting with your kneader hook for 10 minutes.  
You can see how I like to roll them in this picture
Sprinkle flour on your counter and put dough on top.  Cover with a rag and let raise until double.  Divide dough into thirds and roll out into a rectangle shape.  Brush with butter and cut into rectangles.  Roll up and place fairly close together on your cookie sheet.  Cover and let raise until double.  Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Brush with butter.  Best served warm.


I

No comments: