Saturday, November 26, 2011

Lettuce Wraps

Warren and I both love the lettuce wraps at P.F. Chang’s as well.  I found this recipe online and decided to try it.  It isn’t exactly like P.F. Chang’s, but it’s really good.  I had to make the sauce recipe twice.  The first time I followed the recipe exactly and I didn’t like the sauce.  I added and left some things off the second time.  It tasted MUCH better!  Here is the recipe how I made it.  I doubled the chicken, but you definitely don’t need to double the special sauce.

Ingredients:
oil, for frying chicken
Chicken breasts, cut into small pieces
Water chestnuts - 1 can
Mushrooms - about a cup
1/2 of an onion, chopped
1 tsp. minced garlic
Iceberg lettuce

Special Sauce:
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
2 TBSP. soy sauce
2 TBSP. rice wine vinegar
2 TBSP. ketchup
1 TBSP. lemon juice
1/4 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. red chili paste
2 tsp. garlic
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes

Stir Fry Sauce:
2 TBSP. Soy sauce
2 TBSP. Brown Sugar
1/2 tsp. rice wine vinegar

Directions:
Make the special sauce by dissolving the sugar in water in a small bowl.  Add soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, ketchup, lemon juice, red pepper, garlic and red chili paste and sesame oil.  Mix well and refrigerate this sauce until you’re ready to serve.

Bring oil to high heat in your skillet and saute the chicken pieces until done.  Add water chestnuts, mushrooms and onions.  (Chop the mushrooms and water chestnuts into small, diced pieces).  Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.  Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes, then serve in the lettuce cups with the special sauce on the side for dipping or sprinkling on top.

1 comment:

Adelina Priddis said...

Mmmm, I love lettuce wraps! So far my favorite recipe came from a book... Feeding the dragon, a culinary travelogue through china.