Monday, October 24, 2011

Spinach Mushroom Enchiladas

I rarely cook anything vegetarian, but I thought I’d give it a whirl.  I love mushrooms, and I love spinach, so this recipe really appealed to me.  The flavors blended beautifully and I loved it!  You could easily add chicken if you wanted to add meat.  I, personally, like it as it is.
Ingredients:
1 lb. baby portobella mushrooms, chopped
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 TBSP. butter
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
12 oz. chopped fresh spinach, coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup lime juice minus 1 TBSP.
1 TBSP. chicken bouillon granules
1 TBSP. garlic powder
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup minced fresh cilantro
12 corn tortillas, warmed
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
Crushed red pepper flakes

In a skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in butter until tender.  Add garlic and cook until fragrant.  Set aside half of the mushroom mixture for sauce.  Add wine to the skillet and cook for a few minutes.  Add 1/4 tsp. seasoned salt;  Cook until spinach wilts and liquid evaporates.

In a large saucepan, bring the water, lime juice, chicken bouillon, garlic powder and remaining seasoned salt to a boil, stirring to dissolve bouillon.  Stir in the sour cream, cilantro and reserved mushroom mixture; heat through.

Place spinach mixture in the center of each tortilla; roll up and place seam side down in a greased 13 x 9 in baking dish.  Spoon sauce over top; sprinkle with cheese.  Bake, uncovered at 350 for 15 minutes.  Add pepper flakes on top, if desired.

No comments: