Sunday, January 20, 2013

Zucchini, Black Beans and Rice Skillet

In an effort to eat a little more simply and healthy, we have been trying a few new dishes.  I really liked this simple dish.  Its quick, it’s easy, it’s flavorful and best of all, it’s healthy.  I took the leftovers and measured into small portion serving containers.  It was great for lunch the next day.  Just as a tip:  Don’t let your children snack!  I have learned that if I am going to try a new dish, that I don’t let my kids have an after school snack and then we eat dinner at five.  They typically eat the meal right up if I do that!  Dallin’s comment was “This is delicious!”  He’s seven and he was hungry.

Ingredients:
Olive Oil, for sautéing
2 cups diced zucchini
3/4 cup diced green bell pepper
1 1/2 cups pre-cooked brown rice
1/2 tsp. cumin (more to taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup Hunts Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, undrained
1/2-1 cup shredded cheddar and monterey jack cheese

Heat oil in a large skillet.  Add zucchini and bell pepper.  Cook until crisp tender.  Add beans, tomatoes, rice and seasonings.  Heat until warmed through.  Sprinkle cheese on top and serve.


No comments: