Monday, September 12, 2011

Black Beans and Rice

Tonight I decided to go with a meatless meal.  I do have to say, my kids looked at it and said “THIS is what we are having for dinner?”  With absolute confidence, I said “Yep!”.  I thought it tasted really good, although I do have to say, I think pork would taste really good mixed in with it too.  Wrapping it up in a corn tortilla would be tasty as well.  However, for a slimmed down, healthy version, this was a great meal.  I also used brown rice.  Just a warning about the brown rice though...it takes an hour to cook and you need extra chicken broth.  I’m writing the recipe for white rice, so adjust your recipe accordingly if you are going to do the brown.  I loved the avocados on top.  A definite must in my opinion.
Ingredients:
Olive oil, for browning
1 large onion, diced
1 TBSP. garlic
1 cup white rice
2 cups chicken broth
2 cans black beans
1 can corn
3 fresh tomatoes, diced
1 can green chilies (I used fire roasted)
1/4 tsp. cayenne
2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. garlic powder
Salt, to taste
Fresh cilantro, to taste

In a frying pan, saute the onion and garlic until crisp tender.  Add the rice and saute until lightly browned.  Add the chicken broth and spices and bring to a boil.  Cover and let simmer until tender.  Add beans, tomatoes, green chilies and cilantro.  Toss and serve.

No comments: