Saturday, September 17, 2011

Buttermilk Belgian Waffles

Because I leave every morning at 6:15 a.m., I promised my six-year old son I would fix him waffles today. I went to grab my waffle iron out and then remembered it had broken!  All I had was my belgian waffle iron that I got as a wedding gift 18 years ago.  I had buttermilk sitting in the fridge that I needed to use up, so I decided...what the heck, I’d make some buttermilk belgian waffles.  They were yum!  I’m not a huge syrup fan, unless it’s the buttermilk caramel syrup, but what I DO absolutely LOVE on my pancakes and waffles is homemade sweetened whipping cream and fresh fruit.  I didn’t have any berries in my fridge this morning, so I improvised with my freezer jam.  I told myself this morning that I was going to have a healthy breakfast to make up for all the “bad” I ate this week, but seriously, let’s get real.  This looked too good to not eat.  So, I did....


Ingredients:
2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2 TBSP. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
2 eggs, separated
4 TBSP butter, melted
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Directions:  Mix the egg yolks, buttermilk and butter in a bowl.  Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.  In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients and then pour in the buttermilk, egg mixture.  Mix it until combined.  Then, gently fold in the egg whites.  Pour onto a greased hot griddle until lightly brown.  Serve immediately.

No comments: