Sunday, September 4, 2011

Oatmeal Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies

It’s that time of year when Zucchini seems to be in abundance.  I didn’t even get a garden planted this year because of our move, however, I’ve still managed to get a hold of zucchini.  Today I tried these cookies.  I really like them because they are not overly sweet, yet soft and chewy like an oatmeal cookie should be.  My daughter is doing weight watchers right now, so I did figure out the points on these cookies.  I got 45 cookies out of this batch because I use a small cookie scoop.  For each cookie, it is 3 weight watcher points (just in case anyone else is interested).  I like to blend my zucchini, it makes it more moist and less obvious it is in the cookie.  If you decide to grate your zucchini, cut your flour back to one cup.  I used half wheat, half white.



Ingredients:
½ cup butter
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup granulated sugar
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup white flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ cup cocoa powder
3 cups quick oats
1 cup shredded zucchini (about 1 small)

Directions:
1.       Preheat oven to 350°. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper (or spray them with nonstick cooking spray).
2.       In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and cocoa. Set aside.
3.       In the bowl of an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, cream butter, oil, and sugars. Add egg and vanilla and mix on low speed until combined. Slowly mix in dry ingredients.
4.       Add oats and mix on low speed. Continue mixing on low speed and add zucchini. Mix until well combined.
5.       Scoop uniform balls onto cookie sheets. (I used a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop.) Bake 11-14 minutes until center of cookie no longer looks wet. Cool 10 minutes on cookie sheets before removing.



No comments: